Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:08:45 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: linux-threads

On 01/22/12 01:11, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:57:27 +1000 Da Rock
> <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> By all means shout me down if you like, but I just received the
>> updates re ports unmaintained etc and I noticed linux-threads in one
>> of them.
>>
>> This came in on the ports@ list:
>>
>> Unmaintained marked broken:
>>
>> portname:           devel/linuxthreads
>> broken because:     does not build
>> build errors:       none.
>> overview:http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=devel&portname=linuxthreads
>>
>> I'm curious as to why this wouldn't be coming to the emulation list
>> as isn't it critical to the use of the linux ports? And is the
>> maintainer situation similar to other linux ports- as in the list
>> maintains it for critical purposes?
> It is not a linuxulator port. It is doing what the old linux threads
> lib was doing (each thread is a process), just on FreeBSD. There was a
> timeframe where this gave better performance for the native MySQL than
> our default threads lib. Now our threads lib is better, and we do not
> need the linuxthreads ports anymore.
Huh, well there you go.

My thinking was that when the linuxulator was running equivalent to 2.4
linux it didn't need it (2.4 linux didn't have threads), and when it
jumped to 2.6 it needed the threads. And about the same time 2.6 came in
I noticed linux-threads in ports; hence I jumped to the wrong conclusion
it seems... :)

Thanks for the clarification.