Date:      Sun, 13 May 2012 09:30:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        caindie <user10508@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation

On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:35:26 -0700 (PDT) caindie <user10508@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If linux base requires updating, I think it is reasonable to ask
> whether it is still useful to base linux base on fedora. Fedora seems
> more and more to be full of sound and fury - the question is what if
> anything does fedora signify anymore.

We have linux_base-c6 now in the ports (it is committed, a little
warning message when it was not committed is at
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2012/03/13/new-centos-linux_base-for-testing-soonish/
which needs to be taken into account if you want to experiment with it).
It is not ready for generic use, we may miss some kernel functionality
(see
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2012/03/13/new-opportunities-in-the-linuxulator/).

This is only the linux_base port, not the infrastructure port around
it. If you want to know how to update the infrastructure ports, have a
look at
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/01/howto-add-linux-infrastructure-ports-for-a-new-linux_base-port/

> I'm trying to solve a specific problem; linux base in ports needs
> updating to be sure; I don't think the answer to that should revolve
> around my specific need. I think the user community will better
> served by more of a "big picture" look at linux emulation and freebsd
> - going forward.

The big picture is, that Fedora is not the way to proceed. A long-term
distribution should be chosen for the next linux_base. CentOS is a
candidate for this. We have CentOS 6 linux_base in the ports
collection now. Most probably any long-term distribution needs updates
to the linuxulator in the kernel. It looks like CentOS 6 needs a 2.6.18
based emulation. Our linuxulator reports itself as 2.6.16 compatible
(but some parts like inotify and epoll are missing, so the kernel does
not tell the truth).

Nobody came up with an alternative to CentOS 6 so far.

So open issues are:
 - having a look if there are updates to some RPMs of linux_base-c6
 - generating linux infrastructure ports for linux_base-c6
 - checking for missing functionality in our kernel

Bye,
Alexander.