Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:38:12 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bin/145309: bsdlabel: Editing disk label invalidates the whole device

--------------enig4D8074A4DD087803BEA61118

On 04.02.2012 7:50, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>  Hi there,
> =20
>  Sorry but FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE still appears to have this issue.  When
>  installed using BSD label partitioning scheme, a modification to
>  ada0's label seems to nuke the kernel's view of the disk -- I can't
>  think of a better way to explain it.  The disk itself is OK and the
>  change makes it OK to the disk but the kernel can no more use the root=

>  partition until rebooted, returning weird errnos such as EIO or EXIO.
>  No idea here if the bug is limited to BSD label scheme.

Hi, Yar

When you are in single user mode your root filesystem is mounted read-onl=
y.
When you run bsdlabel it opens geom provider for writing and this trigger=
s spoiling for it.
When bsdlabel closes provider GEOM_PART destroys it and creates again.
But VFS code seems loses it.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov