Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:18:08 +0200
From:      Nicolas Rachinsky <fbsd-mas-0@ml.turing-complete.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs, rsync and broken symlinks (cannot get extended attributes)

Hallo,

I tried to setup a backup with rsync and --fake-super. This does work
fine, until I export and import the zpool (or reboot). After that I
have symlinks that cannot have extended attributes:

root@paladin /pool1/TST/etc/rc0.d# lsextattr -h user *
K01atd  rsync.%stat
K01exim4        rsync.%stat
K01heartbeat    rsync.%stat
K01logd rsync.%stat
K01mysql-proxy  rsync.%stat
lsextattr: K01urandom: failed: Not a directory

I was unable to reproduce this without using rsync. It seems to work
fine if I only rsync /etc/rc0.d, but it fails if I rsync the whole
/etc/rc0.d.

Am I doing something wrong?

This is on FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p3, rsync 3.0.9 and the source is some
debian squeeze. The zpool was recreated just before this tests (raidz1
with 4 disks). The system is on ufs.

If there is anything missing, just ask. At the moment I can try some
things with this system.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas
--