Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:10:57 -0700
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ZFS HBAs + LSI chip sets (Was: ZFS hang (system #2))

I chosen the LSI2008 chip set because the code was donated by LSI, and
they therefore demonstrated interest in supporting their products under
FreeBSD, and that chip set is found in a lot of places, notably
Supermicro boards. Additionally, there were stories of success on the
lists for several boards. That said, I have received private email from
others expressing frustration with ZFS and the "hang" problems, which I
believe are also the LSI chips.

I have two questions for the broader list:

 1) What HBAs are you using for ZFS and what is your level
    of success/stability? Also, what is your load?

 2) How well is the LSI chip sets supported under FreeBSD?

I'm not all that crazy on the idea of replacing eight to ten LSI boards
but I am less crazy on the idea of this problem's continuance.

I do have three Areca 1880i boards (not used for ZFS, rather dumb RAID)
however two of them failed within the first year for no apparent reason
-- I just walked in my lab one day and was greeted by hosed systems.
Consequently, I'm not all that keen on Areca.

I am in the process of releasing a spec for purchase of a Supermicro in
a SC848 chassis, and an identical one next FY. I would appreciate a clue
as to what HBA would be a good/better choice. The vendor spec'd
Supermicro boards with the LSI2008 chips. I own four or six of the
AOC-USAS2-L8e boards, two of which I destroyed, but there wasn't much
difference between them and the 9211.