Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2012 01:57:59 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Lee Dilkie <lee@dilkie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gmirror question, drive missing

Lee Dilkie wrote:
> additional.
>
> like I said, the original setup had the drives swapped. ad10, now ad11,
> was the source of the failure.
>
> from the log files..
>
> +ad10: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=1740673583
> +ad10: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>  error=10<NID_NOT_FOUND>  LBA=1740673583
> +GEOM_MIRROR: Request failed (error=5). ad10[READ(offset=891224874496, length=4096)]
> +GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad10 disconnected.

Your problem is exactly the above error - the disk is marked as BROKEN
by gmirror and thus not connected (re-synchronized) to gm0 anymore.

If you are really sure you want to re-add this broken disk into gmirror
gm0, you must clear metadata on it, then remove info about this provider
from gmirror configuration and then insert it in to gmirror again.

Example (if ad11 is the broken disk):
gmirror clear -v ad11
gmirror forget -v gm0
gmirror insert -v gm0 ad11

Maybe you can use gmirror remove instead of clear and forget, I am not sure.

PS: I recommend you tu check the disk with sysutils/smartmontools:

smartctl -a /dev/ad11