Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:05:51 -0500
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geli init for first time

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:00:17 -0500
> Robert Simmons wrote:
>
>> After you perform "geli init" and "geli attach" you must use dd to
>> initialize the new provider before you run newfs. =A0If you had enabled
>> authentication of some kind during the init step, when you attach the
>> provider you get a series of errors such as these:
>> GEOM_ELI: ada0p4.eli: 4096 bytes corrupted at offset 0.
>> GEOM_ELI: ada0p4.eli: 4096 bytes corrupted at offset 4096.

>> I propose that a switch be added to "geli attach" that signifies that
>> it is the first time that a provider is being attached and these
>> errors are to be suppressed.
>

> If you know to use the switch then you'd know that the warnings are
> harmless. Perhaps it would be better to make the warning more accurate:
>
> GEOM_ELI: ada0p4.eli: 4096 bytes not authenticated at offset 4096.
>

>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0... add something=
 to the end of the DATA
>> AUTHENTICATION section of the geli(8) man page that mentions why these
>> errors occur and that they can be safely ignored.
>
> Good idea

I have created a patch that incorporates the change in error messages
that you suggested to make them more accurate as well as add a bit of
information about these error messages to the geli(8) man page.  I
submitted this patch in the following PR:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D165695