Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2012 22:02:22 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?utf-8?B?0JHQu9C+0LPQtdGA?= <bloger@ngs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keyfile on another HDD.

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 02:40:28PM +0300, =D0=91=D0=BB=D0=BE=D0=B3=D0=B5=D1=
=80 wrote:
> Is it possible to read key file from another HDD with FAT16 during
> system boot?

I assume you are asking for GELI disk encryption?

It depends which stage in the boot process we are talking about. If you
would like to read key from a file for partition, which holds root file
system (so you need the key after the kernel is loaded, but before root
file system is mounted) then no, it is not currently possible. Key can
be read only from the file system the kernel was loaded and I don't
believe we can boot FreeBSD from FAT16.

If you would like to read key after root is mounted, then it should be
possible. Your FAT16 file system just needs to be mounted before
/etc/rc.d/geli script is executed.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl