Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:33:04 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, ruby@freebsd.org, Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org, johans@freebsd.org, "Jason E. Hale" <bsdkaffee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 07/21/2012 13:48, Jason E. Hale wrote:
>
>> IMO I don't really see what the hurry is.  This has been the behavior for
>> years.
>
> Yes, and some of us have been annoyed by it for years as well. :)
>
> The current behavior is wrong, and becomes increasingly painful in a
> world where most FreeBSD users are using packages because it drags in a
> totally pointless package to essentially every FreeBSD system. Fixing
> this bug is a good thing, and needs to be done sooner rather than later.
<snip>

It is unnecessary to be in hurry when that pkg-config has been in the
bsd.gnome.mk for about nine years. I already have a better solution
available for weeks. Therefore, you (and others) need to be patient
because when I add the :build/:run dependency in the bsd.gnome.mk then
that pkg-config runtime dependency will be re-added. And no I am not
going to work on chase all ports to have the 'pkgconfig:build'
(sorry).

--
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team