Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:45:58 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

Hi,

It's not an easy task to get "noticed". Well, no i lie - that's easy, start
submitting patches. Then you need to find someone who you can nag to get it
done. I've offered to a few people to include stuff - just keep nagging me.

Linux projects have the same problem, don't doubt it - but they have a
larger group of active people, generally looking after a very specific
corner of the world. If you want to join the fray and get a commit bit,
just be persistent and be willing to look after one specific corner of the
tree. Then you'll be responsible for dealing with others nagging you. :)

Getting to that point can take a bit of effort though. In terms of wifi, I
jumped in with both feet and asked a whole bunch of questions (and nagged a
whole lot of people) until I wrapped my head around things. This may or may
not be the way you work. :-) The trouble is it's just (mostly) me. It's a
little overwhelming, especially since I don't subscribe to the "copy
everyone elses' work and hope it works fine" method of working..

Adrian