Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:52:48 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@shadowsun.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EFI development tools

On 06/16/12 06:03, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Hi, Eric.
>
> Did you try the GNU EFI toolchain? It contains a good descriptions
> on how to build EFI application and we probably can use some
> suggestions even without importing it.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-efi/

I did.  It looks like what's in the base system now was adapted from
that.  Now that I can build OVMF, I have substantially more ability to
figure out what's going wrong with the programs I build using that
method.  I can also compare the files and assembly coming out of EDK
builds to what comes out of the GNU toolchain.

I'd be willing to bet it's some sort of subtle ABI issue.  There are a
couple of very subtle differences between the PE (microsoft) and ELF ABIs.