Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:08:28 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting patch(1) from NetBSD to FreeBSD (was Re: FreeBSD in Google Code-In 2012? You can help too!)

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote:

>  Hello Hiren;
>

> On 10/27/2012 16:48, hiren panchasara wrote:
>
> + Sean, who has been helping me.
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 27 October 2012 22:17, hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > [removing the CC list]
>> >
>> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote=
:

>> as

>> replace
>> >>

>> > Hi Pedro / List,
>> >
>> > I am not part of google summer of code but I've tried to port patch(1)
>> from
>> > NetBSD into FreeBSD head. I hope that is okay.
>> >
>> > Patching was trivial and It _seems_ to be working fine.
>> >
>> > I would appreciate any ideas around how to test the changes and how to
>> > proceed further.
>>
>>  Have you a patch :)?  You're right, there shouldn't have been many
>> changes needed.
>>

> Will prepare a patch and post here as soon as I get a chance :-)
>

> This is great news Hiren, Thanks!
>

> The stress test for this utility is the ports tree but before that we hav=
> know what will change.

Thanks Pedro!
I will have  a lot of questions as I am a newbie here. :-)

> What needs to be done is:
>
> 1- Compare the options between our old patch and the new BSD patch.

Will do.

> 2- Document this in FreeBSD's wiki.

I think this needs to be done when we are done deciding on diffs and how
the changes look, right?
Also, I do not think I have write access to the wiki.

> 3- Prepare a port for testing.

Does this need to be a port? I thought this would live in
/src/usr.bin/patch.
Also, I believe this will co-exist with current gnu patch(1). Is that a
right assumption?

Thank you,
Hiren