Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:11:21 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two Intel E31220L 9.0-Stable systems, 'kern.random' missing on one?

Hi,

I have two SuperMicro E31220L based systems - both had identical
/etc/sysctl.conf - I then shifted them from 9.0-R to 9.0-Stable (as of
2012/12/03).

Now I've noticed of them complains at boot time that a bunch of OID's are
missing - and sure enough:

"
sysctl kern.random
sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.random'
"

But the other system returns these fine.

One system ID's as 'Intel E31220L @ 2.20Ghz' - the other ID's as 'Intel
E31220L V2 @ 2.30Ghz' the V2 system is apparently 'missing' the kern.random
stuff.

The only reason I can think for the OID's not being present is if one
system is using hardware RNG? - Though 'man 4 random' states:

"The only hardware implementation currently is for the
     VIA C3 Nehemiah (stepping 3 or greater) CPU.  More will be added in the
     future."

Is there any other reason why they would have 'disappeared' on the non V2
system? (in fact, looking at the Feature2 line I can see 'RDRAND' on the V2
system, hmm so I'm guessing that's it?!)

Thanks,

-Karl