Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        killing@multiplay.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, gkontos.mail@gmail.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LSI 9240-4i 4K alignment

On 16 Aug, Steven Hartland wrote:
> [...]

I wish I would have known this earlier.  I just put together a ZFS
server using LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i cards.  The cabling probably would
have been cleaner with the 9211-8i, but I went with the 9240 because the
vendor that I purchased the cards from listed that 9240 as being
PCI-Express 2.0, but didn't say that about the 9211.  I also got the
impression that the 9240 recognized JBOD drives with the off-the-shelf
firmware, whereas the 9211 did not.

Even LSI's own site is a bit confusing.  They list the 9211 in the HBA
section, but its specs don't mention JBOD, whereas the 9240 is listed in
the RAID section and its specs do list JBOD.  If the only physical
difference between the cards is the connector position, it seems odd
that they don't offer products with all the combinations of firmware and
connector position.

I haven't configured the ZFS pool yet, but I didn't have any trouble
installing FreeBSD 9.1-BETA on the GPT partitioned boot drive, which
shows up as an mfi device.  I'm planning on getting the ZFS pool up and
running in the next few days.