Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2012 22:44:00 -0400
From:      Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load testing knocks out network

I read through the driver man page, which is a great source of information.
I see I'm using the Intel igb driver and it supports three tunables. Could
I have exceeded the number of receive descriptors? What would the effect of
this number being too low be? What about the Adaptive Interrupt Moderation?

To clarify, I was simulating about 800 users simultaneously uploading files
when the crash occurred.

Thanks for any help or insights!!

Andy

NAME
     igb -- Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver

LOADER TUNABLES
     Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel
or
     stored in loader.conf(5).

     hw.igb.rxd
             Number of receive descriptors allocated by the driver.  The
             default value is 256.  The minimum is 80, and the maximum is
             4096.

     hw.igb.txd
             Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver.  The
             default value is 256.  The minimum is 80, and the maximum is
             4096.

     hw.igb.enable_aim
             If set to 1, enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation.  The default
             is to enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation.

--
Andrew Young
Mosaic Storage Systems, Inc

Follow us on: