Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:30:54 +1000
From:      Dan Carroll <fbsd@dannysplace.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fastest (IO) micro ATX motherboard

Hello,

I'm thinking of putting together a couple of custom built NAS boxes (4
drive) to use up a plethora of SATA drives I've accumulated.
I'll be running ZFS probably in mirrored or raidz arrangements.

I'd like to be able to get good enough performance so that things like
iSCSI are viable over my home-office lan (gigabit lan with less than 20
devices).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what chipset / motherboard might
have reasonable IO performance?   I'd prefer not to go into this
endeavour only to find out my disk access grinds to a halt when the
motherboard needs to talk to the network.

Things like WOL, low power usage and small form factor are also
important.   Hopefully I'm not asking too much of the micro ATX form factor.

Any ideas?

-Dan