Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:26:52 +0000
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Aleksandr Stankevic <alex@elpastas.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for ftp.lt.freebsd.org

On 28 November 2012 08:12, Aleksandr Stankevic <alex@elpastas.lt> wrote:

> {www,ftp,cvsup}.lt.freebsd.org is currently hosted in one hosting
> company in Lithuania. Since i left the company a few years ago, nobody
> is taking care of it, and they want to get rid of the server. They
> also host the lt.freebsd.org zone. They have asked me to take care of
> it nicely.
>
> I have created a new server (zfs raidz 4x2tb drives, 8 gb ram) in a
> university i also work in. It's currently in process of syncing. I
> also transferred the DNS zone for lt.freebsd.org to the new DNS servers.
>
> Can we please switch the lt.freebsd.org zone from
> ns1.data.lt/ns2.data.lt to ns1.viko.lt / ns2.viko.lt ?

I tried to contact the name we have on file from the zone "Domas
Mituzas" but the mail bounces, so could you please create a TXT record
in the zone containing "New DNS ns1.viko.lt" to verify the change?

> Also, as FreeBSD is switching (or fully switched) from CVS to SVN -
> what is the preferred setup on the mirrors? The mirroring section in
> the handbook still says to use CVS for the synchronization - should
> this be switched to SVN now? What are the suggested services to be run
> on the mirror except for web and ftp - is it cvs, svn, or both?

Well, the current plan is to support cvsup at least until the end of
9.1's EoL, so that's 2 years from now so depending on local usage a
cvsup server might still be useful.

As for svn we currently only have official mirrors under direct
control of the project as svn is significantly more light weight for
servers. If this policy works will be re-evaluated some time next
year.

Getting the hardware in place for the EU svn mirror is taking longer
than expected unfortunately.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen