Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2012 03:05:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Options for updating jail world (regular and ezjail)

I have worked on this problem and I also want to clarify the question:

* After buildworld / installworld on host, one would like to update jail
worlds also.
* My Jail worlds do not need man pages, src, ports, etc. But my host world
does need those.
* After installworld on host, in /usr/src/release do:
# make release -DNOSRC -DNOPORTS -DNODOC -DNO_MAN DNO_GAMES -DNO_INFO
-DNO_JAIL
* Update native jail and ezjail base using the release sources (ftp or
release.iso)
So my question is how to update exactly:

1. for ezjail would it be: #ezjail-admin update -h
file://usr/obj/src/release/release.iso
It is possible to install from the disc1 CDRom, or an extracted -RELEASE
directory, by specifying the host argument as file://path/to/source.
However, the "-h" option is not availble for the update (only the install)

Also, ezjail gives this warning for the update.
As the old basejail is not deleted, but merely overwritten, this usually
leaves all jails in a state where they still find older versions of
libraries they were linked against.
Okay, so what is the solution to that problem?

2. For the base jail, normally
# make installworld DESTDIR=/pathto/jail
would be enough but since I want to use the trimmed-down release version,
that won't work. Should I just extract the *txz files?

3. As another solution there seems to be the freebsd-update method for both
types of jails, but I need some insight as to how well this would work (I
have never used freebsd-update so I do not know its capabilities).

Thanks and Regards.