Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:33:35 +0000
From:      David <turbolad995@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compressed RAM disk swap space

Hi, I have tried something which actually boosts performance: a
compressed RAM disk used as swap space.  As an end user, I do a lot of
testing on PC-BSD and Ubuntu.  It was suggested in the PC-BSD forums I
put my idea in one of these mailing lists.

The compressed RAM disk I tested is called "zRam" and I use it on
Ubuntu.  It makes a noticeable difference on older computers e.g. 1GB of
RAM.  Would the same feature work in FreeBSD and PC-BSD?  I use PC-BSD.
The zRam feature really *does* boost performance.  As an end-user, I
don't know exactly how it works; I just installed it from the "Software
Centre" in Ubuntu and enjoy the performance boost and I have noticed the
hard disk is not constantly in use, compared to not using zRam.

You can see my original posting in the PC-BSD forums:

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=18557

Hope this idea is considered. :)