Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 23:39:05 -0400
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble booting 9-STABLE memstick on PowerBook G4

Hello freebsd-ppc,

I am trying to install 9-STABLE (r236164, GENERIC) on a PowerBook G4
(model #A1010) that has a gimpy optical drive, but I cannot get the
memstick to boot. I know my way around i386 and amd64 reasonably well,
but am new to freebsd-ppc and to Open Firmware. CC me off-list with
replies, please.

Information I've used
- ---------------------

Reviewed the Handbook, in particular:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-start.html

My Google-fu has yielded the following on the topic of booting from USB:

https://sites.google.com/site/tingox/powerbook_g4_freebsd
https://lifedigital2010.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/how-to-install-mac-osx-from-usb-on-powerbook-g4/
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

... and generally, booting with OFW:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/LiveUSB_on_PPC

I have not been able to apply or extend these based on what I observe
locally.

I have also lightly skimmed the NetBSD/macppc FAQ:

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/faq.html

Nothing stood out as a worthwhile thread on which to pull, but I may
dwell longer there as time permits.

How I prepared the memstick
- ---------------------------

# uname -a
FreeBSD XXXX.saltant.net 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #1 r235493: Tue
May 15 21:04:19 EDT 2012
root@XXXX.saltant.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XXXX  amd64
# pwd
/usr/src
# svn info | egrep "(Revision|URL)"
Revision: 236164
# make -j30 TARGET=powerpc TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildworld
[---SNIP---]
# make -j30 TARGET=powerpc TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildkernel
[---SNIP---]
# make -C release \
TARGET=powerpc TARGET_ARCH=powerpc \
- -DNOPORTS -DNOSRC -DNODOC \
memstick
[---SNIP---]
# dd if=/path/to/memstick.img of=/dev/usb_memstick_device \
bs=10240 conv=sync
[---SNIP---]

What I know about the OFW
- -------------------------

<apply power>
<hold down command-option-O-F>
*chime*
<wait>
"Apple PowerBook6,4 4.8.3f1 BootROM built on 04/01/04 at 16:52:06"
[blah blah]
 ok
0 > dev /openprom
name			openprom
device_type		BootROM
model			OpenFirmware 3
relative-addressing
supports-bootinfo
boot-syntax		00000001

How I tried booting the memstick
- --------------------------------

 ok
0 > dev / ls
[---SNIP---]
ff967238:  /pci@f2000000
[---SNIP---]
ff99aa98:    /usb@1b	[or /usb@1b,1 using the other port]
ff9f0d80:      /disk@1
[---SNIP---]
 ok
0 > devalias
[---SNIP---]
usb1		/pci@f2000000/usb@1b
[---SNIP---]
 ok
0 > dir /usb1  can't OPEN the DIR device
 ok
0 > dir /usb1/disk@1:\  can't OPEN the DIR device
 ok
0 > dir /usb1/disk@1,1:\  can't OPEN the DIR device
 ok
0 > dir /usb1/disk@1,2:\  can't OPEN the DIR device
 ok

I've tried various permutations of commas, colons, and numerals, a few
of which cause the laptop to hang and require power-cycle. Also, I've
gone through some guesses with

 ok
0 > boot /usb1/disk@1:,\boot\loader  can't OPEN:
/usb1/disk@1:,\boot\loader
Can't open device or file

Is this as simple as something I'm missing about the syntax or data
model of how to select a boot partition? Are there other
information-gathering tasks I should perform?

Regards,
John