Date:      Sun, 6 May 2012 19:07:11 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        python@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/167368: Python version propagation breaks USE_PYTHON= usage for dependency builds

--OROCMA9jn6tkzFBc

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

In 2003 we introduced DEPENDS_ARGS to enforce the python version on
dependencies[0].
In 2005 we introduced th .MAKEFLAGS propagation to work around an issue
for Zope[1].

I doubt that both are still valid after we allowed parallel python
versions for quite some while now. In any case, the current
implementation _breaks_ ports, if they have non-matching sets of
supported python versions.

The attached patch removes both entries and a local tinderbox run did
not reveal any problems. However, the problem described here does
usually _not_ occur in a tinderbox, since every port is treated as a
single item, instead of a typical user workflow.
Thus more testing (especially with zope-related ports) is highly
appreciated.

[0] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk?annotate=1.41
[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk?annotate=1.62

Regards