Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:26:50 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        ait@p2ee.org
Cc:        freebsd@edvax.de, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS Crash and directories now missing

Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org> wrote:

> 3) the directories were moved at reboot by journal recovery,
> fsck or something else

I think it's *extremely* unlikely that fsck was involved, because
it just doesn't do things like that.  It might move an orphaned
directory (or file) to lost+found, but nowhere else.  That's in
addition to the fact that, as someone already mentioned, it asks
before doing anything.  I don't know enough about the details of
journal recovery to comment on it as a suspect.

> That is what worries me, is that it wasn't just some random bit
> or cosmic ray, but the potential of happening again ...

Any chance that your base system -- rather than one of the jails --
has somehow been cracked; maybe even that the cracker precipitated
the crash?  It might be wise to restore the whole system from backup,
the base from a moderately old one since it doesn't change anyway,
rather than trying to recover.