Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:43:34 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wifi drivers support for "n" standard

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> I have 3 usb wifi sticks.
> One supports b/g standard only and it configures with no problems.
> The other 2 support the "n" standard for faster connection speed between
> the usb stick and the network AP.
> These 2 usb wifi sticks do not configure no mater what I do.
> Thinking the Freebsd wifi drivers have not been updated for "n" standard
> yet. My Cisco Linksys AE2500 USB wifi stick does not work with the bwi
> driver. Has any body gotten this device to work?

Hi,

According to this page: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_AE2500 the AE2500,
which was first released about one year ago, uses the BCM4323 chipset. I do
not see support for this chipset listed in
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/bwn/ or
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/usb/wlan/

If you want a USB dongle that works with FreeBSD I recommend finding one
with an RALINK chipset, these seem to be well supported (however I have not
tried it with version 8). AFAIK 'wireless n' is not supported w/ the RALINK
driver (usb is rum driver at
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_rum.c?revision=234063&view=markup).
Older D-Link dongles use RALINK chipsets, but it seems that newer ones use
the BC chipsets and are not supported. You should be able to chose from a
selection of RALINK based devices on ebay for around $10 US.

If you want to connect to 'wireless n' I recommend finding a device with an
Atheros chipset (however I do not believe there is presently a driver for
Atheros based USB dongles, there is one in the OpenBSD source which could
be ported.) One thing to note, you may need to run FreeBSD 9 or
10.0-CURRENT to use the newer Atheros drivers.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA