Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:40:27 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Devin, FreeBSD RC <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The mountlate rc.d boot script cannot be disabled

First, let me prefix my inline responses with stating that:

Due to the addition of the "failok" mount(8) option, it is highly likely th=
at this may solve our problems.

However, since the "failok" addition is currently not available in any -REL=
EASE, we cannot test it for production deployment (maybe in 6-months).

With that being said, we look forward to when FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE will be m=
ade available (as I've confirmed that "failok" is tagged for RELENG_8, the =
source for what should be 8.3 when created).

On Dec 31, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 12/31/2011 8:34 AM, Chris Rees wrote:
>> Doug, is there a reason that the patch is harmful?
>=20
> 1. An unlimited number of knobs is not a virtue, it just leads to more
> user confusion.
>=20
> 2. The harm caused by a user accidentally flipping this is much greater
> than any possible benefit that it could provide.

I've been thinking about it and the patch does have the following two negat=
ives:

1. disabling mountlate means the administrator needs to memorize that whils=
t looking at fstab(5) that "late" filesystems could be neutered (good or ba=
d, requires modification of man-pages, re-training to learn new axioms, etc=
.)

2. mountlate is metaphorically the "enforcer" of mountcritremote. Disabling=
 mountlate means mountcritremote doesn't really make remote mounts critical.

So, up until this point, we'd not been aware of the new "failok" option (wh=
y would we? it's not really available yet) and now that we know about it, w=
e look forward to checking it out in a future release. But at this time, ne=
ither 8.1 nor 8.2 support it. Until we can upgrade, we'll have to resort to=
 modifying the system in some way.

> I think Jilles had a good point, it's likely that the best actual change
> to be made here is better documentation of the failok knob for fstab.
>=20

Gcooper raised docs/163742 to address the lacking documentation.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.