Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:36:24 -0700
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Leonardo M. Ram?" <martinrame@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: fsck_ufs running too often

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:23:58PM +1000, Sean wrote:
> On 23/06/2012, at 7:47 AM, Leonardo M. Ram? wrote:

> > Hi, since a few of days ago, I noticed my home server turns very
> > slow more than once a day, so every time I run "top" to see what's
> > processes are running, I can see fsck_ufs at the very top, and the
> > hard drive working like mad.
> >
> > I've checked my crontab and there's nothing related to fsck_ufs,
> > where can I start searching for the cause of the problem?, I
> > thought this process should run only at boot or shutdown, but this
> > time it is running -apparently- without a cause.

> Background fsck. Your server crashed, rebooted, started up and fsck
> is running in the background while everything else continues.
>
> [...]
>
> The more important thing is to find out why it crashed - if there
> was a power outage, hardware or software issue.

Another thing to do is look in the logs to see if background fsck
is failing for some reason. I've seen it happen in some cases that
background fsck fails and asks for a manual run, in which case the
filesystem remains dirty, and further reboots will continue to fail
until a manual fsck is run.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL - Portland, OR USA