Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:20:07 +1000
From:      Jurgen Weber <jurgen.weber@theiconic.com.au>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   kvm on 9.1beta

Hello

I have a new system, which I need to get some VM's happening on soon,
its a nice new dell r720xd. lots of cpus and 128 gb of RAM. I really
want ot run it on FreeBSD for all of that zfs awesomeness.

I have never used KVM before, so I feel some of these questions will be
KVM based for which I apologise but I thought here might be the best
place to start.

So, what I have so far:

HOST system:
]# uname -a
FreeBSD chaos.matrix 9.1-BETA1 FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1 #0: Thu Jul 12 09:38:51
UTC 2012 root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# pkg_info | grep qemu
kqemu-kmod-devel-1.4.0.p1_5 Kernel Accelerator for QEMU CPU Emulator
(development versi
qemu-devel-1.1.0    QEMU CPU Emulator - development version

# pkg_info | grep libvirt
libvirt-0.9.13      Toolkit to interact with virtualization capabilities

Firstly, things I have noticed across both VM's is that doing simple
tasks, while booting up the VM's or while installing the VM CPU usage on
one host is very high (on one CPU), and the VM its self seems to respond
quite slowly. So, firstly what CPU optmizations are there? Or general
setup that i am missing. I feel I am missing bits. Examples I have seen
around the place people use -cpu host but when I do that I get a "Unable
to find x86 CPU definition" error, also if I attempt a -enable-kvm,
which I have also seen, I get a "KVM not supported for this target No
accelerator found!", so the first things I would like to know are, what
do they mean and how do I resolve them.

My host CPU info is:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz (2000.04-MHz K8-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x206d7  Family = 6  Model = 2d
Stepping = 7

I have been attempting to install and setup two guests, Debian 6.05 and
another FreeBSD9.1beta. Lets start wit hthe Debian system. Except for
the issue just mentioned about its CPU, this system installs fine but
once I finish the install. Shut it down, and restart it without the
CDROM drive (so it does not boot of it) the system does not boot. When I
VNC to the system I see a "booting from Hard Disk..... boot failed:
could not read the boot disk". The following is the command I am using:

qemu-system-x86_64 -pidfile /var/run/typhon.pid -daemonize -drive
file=/data/images/typhon.img,index=0,if=scsi,media=disk -m 4G -smp 4
-net nic,model=e1000 -net user,name=typhon,hostname=typhon -net
tap,name=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -vnc :0

I have attempted different images as well, using raw or qcow2 both don't
help. I would prefer to use qcow2 for all VM's.

The second VM I am attempting to start FreeBSD 9.1beta. The command I am
using is:

qemu-system-x86_64 -pidfile /var/run/uranus.pid -daemonize -cdrom
/data/iso/FreeBSD-9.1-BETA1-amd64-bootonly.iso -drive
file=/data/images/uranus.img,if=scsi,format=raw,index=0,media=disk,cache=writeback
-m 4G -smp 4 -net nic,model=e1000 -net user,name=uranus,hostname=uranus
-net tap,name=tap1,script=no,downscript=no -vnc :1

This one is super frustrating in the fact that the installer does not
detect a hard drive in any way or form, I have tried a few variations,
different devices including the following:

qemu-system-x86_64 -pidfile /var/run/uranus.pid -daemonize -cdrom
/data/iso/FreeBSD-9.1-BETA1-amd64-bootonly.iso -drive
file=/data/images/uranus.img,if=none,format=raw,id=hd -m 4G -smp 4 -net
nic,model=e1000 -net user,name=uranus,hostname=uranus -net
tap,name=tap1,script=no,downscript=no -vnc :1 -device
virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -device scsi-hd,drive=hd

but no matter what I do, no disk is detected.

Any help on setup or config in FreeBSD isn appreciated, it took me a
while to work out the networking and I have that down now.

Thanks

Jurgen