Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:00:54 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (more) bugs fixed in -HEAD, AP mode is now mostly (again) stable!

On 10 March 2012 15:09, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk> wrote:
> Ok now I'm past the panic commit, it ran fine for about 1/2 hour then I got
> Mar 10 22:37:30 ostracod kernel: ath0: device timeout
> and nothing more, which was unexpected.

Right. Well, "device timeout" can occur for a lot of reasons.

The reason it occurs is that a TX was scheduled but the TX completion
doesn't come in, so the watchdog countdown fires.

The cause can sometimes be because of an actual TX stall, but these
days it's almost certainly a corner case during background scanning
and/or some vap state transition.

I know of at least one case where it's due to scan (where it does
something odd - it transitions to scan, sends out a frame, then
cancels interrupts so it can't receive the TX completion; no
subsequent TX completion occurs within 5 seconds. So it's not REALLY a
timeout, it's just bad packet handling.) I'll let the list know when
I've fixed that.

For now, please disable bgscan (ifconfig wlan0 -bgscan.)

> I have
> options ATH_ENABLE_11N
> options AH_DEBUG
> options ATH_DEBUG
> options ATH_DIAGAPI
>
> in my kernel config.
>
> I've reverted to a working 11G version for now as my wife is watching
> bbc iplayer on a tv connected via that machine at the moment ;)
> If you have anything you would like me to try let me know and i'll try
> it once shes's done.

Is this in access point mode, or in station mode?

> message log from boot till the timeout (then me rebooting) at
> http://unsane.co.uk/message-ath-timeout.txt

The next time it happens, please do this:

sysctl dev.ath.0.txagg=1

and then check dmesg, email the list the output. I'd like to see if
the TX queue is stuck.

Then, force a scan:

ifconfig wlan0 scan

Even if it's in hostap mode, it'll cause a full TX queue flush and if
11n TX aggregation is stuck for whatever reason, it'll complain
bitterly at you in dmesg.

Thanks,

Adrian