Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:57:26 -0600
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Today's wireless update - TL;DR - please test -HEAD

On 11/15/2012 11:41 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 15 November 2012 09:24, Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So I'm taking it that currently it will not work without the glue that's not
>> yet available?
>>
>> I'm trying to get ndis working, but it's failing to find the device.  I can
>> run pciconf -lv and it shows that it's connected.
>
> The glue is available. The HAL isn't available. That's the missing piece.
>
> As for NDIS, I haven't ever played with that. Sorry. I'm trying to
> make the drivers support everything so we don't need NDIS.
>
> What's the PCI ID of the chip you're using, and which driver are you
> trying to use with NDIS?
>

> Adrian

I tried doing a mix of ath from -current and the rest from -stable but
it wouldn't compile because of iwn and other issues.  I tried doing a
-current generic kernel.  It would kernel panic shortly after getty was
started but I think that's another issue.  After I got it to not panic,
the ath driver still wouldn't attach.  Here's the relevant output of
pciconf.

none3@pci0:2:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x3112168c chip=0x0030168c
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
     device     = 'AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor'
     class      = network

I was trying drivers off the CD I was given by the vendor.  The card is
a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800.  I tried the XP and Vista drivers, athwx.sys and
athrx.sys, but neither had any effect.