Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:13:03 +0000
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel X3000 black screen using Vesa driver

On 02/25/2012 08:06 PM, matt wrote:
> On 02/25/12 11:06, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running FreeBSD 9.0 x64 Release on a Lenovo X220 notebook.
>>

>> So far everything seems to work but for whatever reason I can't seem
>> to start X properly!
>>

>> I ran: Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new -retro
>>
>> which worked and I got the Xorg grey fuzzy screen with X cursor in it.
>>
>> The rest of the steps I took from the handbook:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
>>

>> I have a .xinitrc file containing:
>>
>> exec xterm&
>> exec fluxbox/jwm (I set to either option)
>>

>> But to no luck :-(
>>

>> I think it's because Xorg has changed and the .xinitrc seems to be
>> deprecated/depreciated and not used any more.
>>

>> Currently am using the Vesa driver as none of the Intel drivers seem
>> to work for me:
>>
>> Screen not found
>>

>> Error coming up each time.
>>

>> I tried with both these drivers:
>>
>> xf86-driver-intel
>> xf86-driver-intel29
>>

>> Also my screen is 720p half HD so res supported is 1366x768 which
>> standard Vesa driver doesn't like the mode of either.
>>

>> Can anyone help me out?
>>

>> Will post the Xorg.log and other output if necessary but am stuck
>> using virtual terminals so had to reboot into Fedora 16 to be able to
>> send email.
>>
>> Will need to get Alpine coupled with my .pinerc files working so that
>> I can use my Gmail account but that's not an issue - it's something I
>> have to do regardless :-)
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Kaya
> .xinitrc works fine. I use it all the time...maybe try commenting out
> all items and just put "xterm -rv"?
> I haven't tried the vesa drivers, but xorg should work after using the
> patches for intel graphics KMS. VESA only supports resolutions exposed
> by the video bios, which are often "wrong".
>
> Meowthink has been posting patches from head backported to 9, my
> understanding is you'll want to merge the xorg-dev port from here:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU (after the long list of individual
> ports, or...)
> and then apply Meowthink's patch.
>
> The xorg-dev merge will add some ports including a kms enabled intel
> driver (3d, native resolution)
>
> Matt

I just checked the xorg-dev port and tried to download it to FreeBSD but
unfortunately it seems to be offline....??

svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev

didn't work, came out saying that there was no data or so.

I will try the other method from the git repos but they seem like quite
a hack to build and patch on the go etc....

I'm wondering, would it be better to just upgrade to FreeBSD 9.1 or 9.2?

 From what I've read it seems that the Xorg version and other port
versions I want are part of this.

I might loose out a little on stability but that's ok as long as things
work - I mean things can't get any worse then Fedora 16 which I
currently run can they??? :-)

I also would like to install Gnome3 given a chance but don't know the
level or work that's been done on it for FreeBSD - again reading claimed
that the work was still "in progress" and not officially released yet.....

Regards,

Kaya