Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:44:49 +0200
From:      Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   radeon and xorg 7.7

Hello everyone,

I've got two machines, a desktop with a Radeon HD 5750 card, and a laptop with
a HD 6320. Both run FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE, with WITH_NEW_XORG enabled.

The version of xorg in ports works; I need to explicitly disable loading the
DRI modules (glx, dri2 and dri), but then I can run X without too many
problems, except for some glitches (on the 6320, if I restart X, it behaves
very strangely afterwards).

However, 7.7 doesn't work at all: without configuration file, with the
configuration file from X -configure, with a vanilla 'ati' configuration file,
with a vanilla 'vesa' configuration file: in all cases, X segfaults during
startup.

Now, I've understood that the newer radeons don't work very well with X, so my
question: is this normal behaviour, or should this work (without 3D and
acceleration, I suppose) and is something going wrong somewhere?

Thanks,

  Jaap

P.S. I can send logs, pciconf results, config files, and all that, if
necessary, just let me know what is needed.