Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:14:51 +0400
From:      "Alexey V. Panfilov" <lehis2000@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't load vboxnetflt.ko after update virtualbox to 4.2.6

10.01.2013 21:24, Alexey V. Panfilov wrote:
> 10.01.2013 17:14, Rusty Nejdl wrote:
>> On 2013-01-10 00:45, Alexey V. Panfilov wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> After update virtualbox from 4.1.22 to 4.2.6 vboxnetflt module can't
>>> load:
>>>
>>> [work-book]# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxnet start
>>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxnet: WARNING: Can't load vboxnetflt module.
>>>
>>> And /var/log/messages contains
>>>
>>> Jan 10 10:36:06 work-book kernel: link_elf: symbol ng_free_item undefined
>>>

>>> With 4.1.22 all works fine.
>>>
>>> Some additional info:
>>>
>>> FreeBSD work-book.lehis.ru 8.3-STABLE FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #4: Thu Nov  8
>>> 14:38:26 MSK 2012
>>> root@work-book.lehis.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOOK-8-STABLE  i386
>>>
>>> Build options for virtualbox-ose-kmod:
>>>
>>> ===> The following configuration options are available for
>>> virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.2.6:
>>>      DEBUG=on: Debug symbols, additional logs and assertions
>>>      VIMAGE=off: VIMAGE virtual networking support
>>>
>>> Please, say direction for resolve this issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> The general reason this occurs is because of a mismatch of your kernel
>> and your kernel module.
>
> I understood that :) , but how I can detect what was mismatch (what
> module should be loaded or compiled within kernel)...
>
>> Try rebuilding your kernel and rebooting and it
>> will likely load as that has worked for me in the past and I did not
>> have problems loading this time.
>
> You're right, man! Something goes wrong on my notebook and it has
> unsynced src and binary.
>
> So, I csup'ed to current, built and install new world and kernel,
> rebuilt virtualbox-ose-kmod and now I'm happy - vbox works fine.
>
> Thanks for show right direction, Rusty!
>
>>  However, I am running on 9.1 amd64 so
>> I am on a different platform for you so I haven't tried to duplicate.
>>
>> Rusty Nejdl

Story has continued: during upgrade vbox to 4.2.6 on another server I
found next strange thing:

If virtualbox-ose-kmod built with sets debug option then vboxnetflt.ko
loads fine.
If debug was unchecked - vboxnetflt.ko can't loads with error "link_elf:
symbol ng_free_item undefined" in messages

--
Best regards,
Alexey V. Panfilov