Date:      Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:23:51 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng behaviour change (upgrade -f and version)

(changed list to pkg@freebsd.org)

On 07/04/13 04:16, bw.mail.lists wrote:
> I'm not sure when it happened, I think since latest pkgng upgrade,
> version 1.1.3, but pkgng now acts differently in at least two cases.
>
> 1. pkg upgrade -f
> What happens:
>
> -----------------
> /root # pkg upgrade -f
> Updating repository catalogue
> New version of pkg detected; it needs to be installed first.
> After this upgrade it is recommended that you do a full upgrade using:
> 'pkg upgrade'
>
> Uprgades have been requested for the following 1 packages:
>
>         Reinstalling pkg-1.1.3_1
>
> 0 B to be downloaded
>
> Proceed with upgrading packages [y/N]: n
>
> What I expected to happen (man page quote):
> -f  Force reinstalling/upgrading the whole set of packages
>
> Problem:
> Not sure how to upgrade everything now.

I experienced this as well on 1.1.3_1, when using pkg install -fR perl.
As long as I use -f, it ignores what I ask for every single time and
tries to reinstall pkg instead.  I encountered this on a system that had
broken perl modules due to the 5.16.3 upgrade, so I was going to force
upgrade everything that depends on perl.