Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2013 19:57:08 -0600
From:      khatfield@socllc.net
To:        James Howlett <jim.howlett@outlook.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD DDoS protection

Luckily,
FreeBSD is fairly simple to harden against smaller DDoS attacks. Since I am=
 unsure of your connection I cannot recommend specifics. However, it is bes=
t to configure polling, tweak sysctl (buffers/sockets/etc), install pf or i=
pfw and do some straight forward deny/allow + source spoof settings.

Above all, don't go overboard with firewall configuration. People often try=
 to do far too much tracking/packet rate limiting, etc. It just burns up fr=
ee resources.

Deny all ICMP (drop I mean) and UDP except where specifically required.

And just do general hardening... Get yourself a static IP or VPN. Deny all =
console/ssh access except to that IP. Same here, a simple host deny will sa=
tisfy this need.

The less you do with the firewall (routing/blocking/inspecting) the better.

Drop drop drop ;)

In the end, proper tuning with a good Intel NIC and you can saturate a 1Gbp=
s connection with legit traffic and block most high PPS floods as long as t=
hey don't saturate the link.

I have ran similar configurations in 10Gbps scenarios and there are certain=
ly limitations even in 1Gbps cases... Though, you can't plan for everything=
 - the best you can do is be prepared for the majority of general UDP/ICMP/=
TCP SYN or service specific attacks like SSH/FTP, etc.

I'm actually at dinner so I apologize for the lack of further detail. I'm n=
ot even certain this makes sense but hopefully it helps.

I have my configs which I can send by tomorrow if needed. (For examples)

Best of luck!
-Kevin

On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:31 PM, "James Howlett" <jim.howlett@outlook.com> wrote=
:

> Hi,
>=20
> I have a router running BGP and OSPF (bird) on FreeBSD.
> Are there any best practises one can take in order to protect the network=
 from DDoS attacks.
> I know this isn't easy. But I would like to secure my network as much as =
possible.
> Even if I'am not able to prevent or block a ddos I would like to get some=
 info (snmp trap parhaps) regarding the attack.