Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2014 03:13:53 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   10.1-BETA2 PowerMac G5 panic dump failure: "- oversized DMA transfer attempt 65536 > 32768"

I induced a panic dump attempt well after booting but it reported:

Dumping 606MB (160 chunks)
Chunk 0: 574592 bytes ata2:
failure - oversized DMA transfer attempt 65536 > 32768

So it would appear that by default I can not get dumps for panics, at =
least not on the PowerMac G5 configurations. (I'd guess that the =
PowerMac G4's would be similar.) Everything else has been working for =
the SSD use (the only media in place at the time --or normally).

Context:

FreeBSD FBSDG5M1 10.1-BETA2 FreeBSD 10.1-BETA2 #22 r271944M: Sun Sep 28 =
00:29:03 PDT 2014     root@FBSDG5M1:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64  =
powerpc

GENERIC64 with options DDB and GDB added. WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D =
WITHOUT_CLANG=3D WITH_DEBUG=3D in /etc/make.conf. Odd DDB hack (internal =
automatic script definition) for boot time reporting of information to =
expose what is going on for a PowerMac G5 boot crash that happens fairly =
frequently --reporting despite no input working at that early stage. =
Also added a call to report a kernel backtrace at during the first =
OF_<?> after the mmu is configured, before the actual ofwcall (which may =
crash).

The panic here was long after booting and logging in and it is from my =
using Control-option-esc to get into DDB interactively (for the first =
time) and my experimenting there. I'm not worried about the specific =
panic at this point. But that dumps will fail is not so good. (It would =
have been my first kernel dump.)

Also possibly odd is that the only media is an SSD listed as ada0 with =
partitions/slices listed as various ada0s<?>. Yet the dump failure =
messages referred to ata2. There is no /dev/ata2 present. The swap =
partition was on ada0s9 that it should have used for the dump.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net