Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:03:18 +1100
From:      Rob Diamond <robd@spin.net.au>
To:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggested option for the DVD Installer

Hi Guys,

I would like to suggest an option for an MBR install on the current 10.1
DVD installer image. Some background:

I'm a refugee from the Linux systemd wars.

I have been running Gentoo for 10-15 years, but finally got fed up with
the problems of keeping my system up to date. If I left the system for a
couple of months then any attempt to upgrade something/everything would
block because of intertwined dependencies and the fast pace of updates
to packages. So a few months ago, after trying various other Linux
distros I installed Linux Mint. It's dead easy to install, sound, video,
printers work pretty well out of the box. But I hate the complexity of
everything, and the way it's starting to look like Windoze:

- grub2, with its unreadable config file and convoluted set-up and
update (Yeah, I know I could RTFM, but I don't want to waste a couple of
hours working out how to change some settings when I'll forget in a
couple of days).
- the "quiet, splash" default boot option, with the mindless jiggling
logo instead of being able to see what's going on.
- the byzantine complexity of systemd (Yeah, I know I could RTFM, but I
don't want to waste a couple of months working out how to change some
settings when I'll forget in a couple of seconds).
- etc, etc

BTW I'm NOT a FreeBSD noob. I started off installing 386BSD on a PC-AT
(if there's anyone here young enough to remember that !), and I've got
the Walnut Creek CDROMs for FreeBSD 2.0 and 2.2 in my bottom drawer.

However, I had a problem getting FreeBSD to install on my "test" PC. The
motherboard is a few years old, and the BIOS has no clue about GPT
partioning. I first tried the default install, but (and it takes a long
time to boot and install off DVD) after rebooting my BIOS couldn't find
an OS. I tried Googling for a clue, but as usual the problem is that
there's way too much information out there and most of it is not
current. So next I tried partitioning with gpart and setting up an MBR
disk, but I kept getting complaints about the partition not being 4k
aligned. So then I tried using the "Expert mode" patitioning, but I put
a swap partition first, so.. no boot. Finally I found something that
said to make sure "/" was the first partition, and (after re-booting and
installing for the umpteenth time) I was in business.

It would have been much easier if there was a default MBR partioning
option, with a label saying something like "MBR partitioning for older
hardware", which would give installers a clue, and which got the user
going with the first (or second) install.

We can't afford to put people off by making it difficult to get their
first installation running - once you have a working system it's easier
to learn about various aspects of the OS. But expecting inexperienced
people with older hardware to be able to work out how to partition an
MBR disk is unrealistic. They'll just give up and go back to something
like Ubuntu.

My 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Rob Diamond.