Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:46:26 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Issues

Hi,

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:50:20 -0700
Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com> wrote:

> I was able to migrate my version 10.0 from i386 to my current AMD64
> without any problems.  I was just running it as a i386 and all was
> good.  However, I am having a really bad time trying to upgrade to
> 10.1.  I was not able to get it to finish compiling, so I used a donor
> system and compiled the system and kernel then moved both src and obj
> over to the AMD64 box.  The kernel installed, but after that first
> reboot the BTX loader halted with what looks like the mem location of
> a crash on the screen.
>
> I am in a world of hurt as I am down, and have no certain way to get
> this thing running again.  I could just build from scratch as all my
> files are backed up, but I have had a form of this same system for 15
> years, and I don't want to give up.
>
> Any suggestions?

could t be that your boot loader believes it boots a i386 system?

Allow me to suggest what I normally do. I have all my media bootable. I
take one of these, start it - via USB or plugged into the machine - and
compile the system locally and install it then. As I also use labels
for my devices, I did not run into problems with this method.

Erich