Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 2015 23:29:44 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: exporting INVARIANTS easily

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:20:06AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> Many of the performance eating features are exported via some kind of sys=
ctl, usually
> patterned after the case of witness as debug.foo. INVARIANTS isn=E2=80=99=
t one of those
> features.
>=20
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3488
>=20
> implements debug.invariants. Please comment.
>=20
> I=E2=80=99d thought about adding it to the kern.features sysctl, but thou=
ght better of it since it
> isn=E2=80=99t a facility that people can use.
>=20
> If you include the kernel config in the kernel, you can get this informat=
ion via
> 	config -x | grep INVARIANTS
> but not all kernels do that. This is more robust.
>=20
> I also know that you can load some modules compiled INVARIANTS when the b=
ase
> kernel isn=E2=80=99t built that way and this won=E2=80=99t reflect that. =
There=E2=80=99s no good want to include
> that information and is an uncommon use case.
>=20
> Our use case? We have a raft of test machines. Most run without INVARIANT=
S since
> we want to characterize the performance of the release under test. Some a=
re running
> INVARIANTS since we want to test the robustness as well, even at the expe=
nse of
> some performance. To ensure we don=E2=80=99t accidentally include INVARIA=
NTS systems
> in the performance number, we=E2=80=99ve adding a key to an internal data=
base that=E2=80=99s driven
> off this sysctl.
>=20
> Comments?

As long as the ultimate goal is to have INVARIANTS in GENERIC I'm all
for it! I use to run even production machines with INVARIANTS, which was
helpful to catch VirtualBox's kernel memory corruption, but we've moved
to GENERIC since I wanted to use freebsd-update. Having INVARIANTS in
GENERIC would be great.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://mobter.com