Date:      Sat, 16 May 2015 18:24:31 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Erik Moe <e.moe@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RPI2 performance comparison using LINPACK

On Sat, 2015-05-16 at 18:14 -0500, Erik Moe wrote:
[...]
> The FreeBSD results were very similar to Linux as long as it was compiled with "-mfloat-abi=softfpˇ and the cpu is running at the full 900Mhz.  I tried to compile the Linux version of LINPACK using "-mfloat-abi=softˇ, but got the error "linpack uses VFP register arguments, /tmp/cc24nslQ.o does notˇ, so I assume that it doesn˙t support a soft floating-point implementation.  FreeBSD must default to "-mfloat-abi=softˇ.  Raspbian must default to "-mfloat-abi=hardˇ because that˙s the only option that would work neither "-mfloat-abi=softˇ or -mfloat-abi=softfpˇ would link.  Will hard float work for FreeBSD if I compile with "TARGET_ARCH=armv6hfˇ?
>
> Erik

If you do "make <progname>" it gets built with system default options,
which include softfp.  If you do "cc ..." you get exactly the options
you put on the command line.

If your overall system is built as TARGET_ARCH=armv6hf instead of armv6
then hardfloat is the default whether you use make or cc directly.

-- Ian