Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2015 20:47:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@ogmig.net>
To:        Stari Karp <starikarp@yandex.com>, freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apple Magic Mouse

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015, Stari Karp wrote:

> I am using bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse and it works but the problem is
> because works just a left and right click. I search a little and I found
> that NetBSD has a driver for Magic mouse which has more functions
> (http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?btmagic+4+NetBSD-current).
>
> Is it possible to use their driver on FreeBSD, please or FreeBSD
> planning to improve Magic Mouse driver?

What you see on FreeBSD is that the Magic Mouse works as a normal mouse,
without any of the touch screen thing. I guess in X you can emulate a
middle click by chording (though I don't remember if the mouse will send a
left-and-right click event in basic mode).

I'd say that using the NetBSD driver (I am the author) is not really
possible on FreeBSD, since FreeBSD does things related to Bluetooth HIDs
differently. It should be simple enough to add the Magic Mouse handling to
the bthidd(8) daemon though, but I don't know how easy that would be, or a
separate daemon could be written instead.

The way I worked the identification in NetBSD, was that when configuring a
HID device, I checked the descriptor as normal and also the
Manufacturer/Product ID via the PNP profile. When the latter matched the
Apple Magic Mouse, then it just attaches a different driver.

The Magic Mouse then needs an initialization command to be sent via the
standard HID protocol "SET_REPORT(FEATURE, 0xd7) = 0x01" once connected to
enable the special extra functionality that it provides.

regards,
iain