Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2015 19:15:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>, Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
Subject:   Re: The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

Rainer Duffner wrote:
>=20
> > Am 21.02.2015 um 19:23 schrieb Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>:
> >=20
> >> On Feb 21, 2015, at 9:36 AM, Christian Baer
> >> <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> >>=20
> >> But why shouldn't I use /etc/exports? I have read people writing
> >> this (don't
> >> use /etc/exports) in forums when searching for answers, however
> >> the current
> >> manpage for zfs says this:
> >=20
> > FreeNAS has more experience with sharing things from ZFS than
> > anyone else in the BSD community (that=E2=80=99s not hyperbole, it=E2=
=80=99s
> > simply fact).  We don=E2=80=99t use any of the zfs sharing flags.  Thos=
> > were intended more for Solaris (sharesmb, for example - FreeBSD
> > lets you do that, but what does it *mean* when you don=E2=80=99t have a
> > native CIFS service?).   FreeBSD has never integrated ZFS=E2=80=99s not=
ion
> > of sharing or, for that matter, a number of other things like
> > drive hot sparing and automatic replacement, and you=E2=80=99re seeing =
the
> > results of ZFS=E2=80=99s solaris roots still not lining up 100% with th=
eir
> > new FreeBSD home.  That=E2=80=99s all.
> >=20
> > I would simplify things, just as FreeNAS has (for good reasons),
> > and simply have ZFS be =E2=80=9Ca filesystem=E2=80=9D from FreeBSD=E2=
=80=99s perspective
> > and share it just as you would UFS.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Interesting.
>=20
> I admit I don=E2=80=99t use NFS v4.
> Is it much faster than NFS v3 these days?
>=20
Nope. If you are lucky, you'll be about performance neutral when
switching from v3 -> v4. If you access lots of files, you probably
won't be performance neutral, due to the extra overhead of Opens, etc.

NFSv4 isn't really a replacement for NFSv3 imho. It fills a different,
although somewhat overlapping solution space. It provides better byte
range locking, ACLs and, when pNFS becomes commonly available, better
scalability for I/O performance on relatively large servers (especially
if the clients are accessing a fairly small number of large files).
If you don't need any of the above, you don't need/want NFSv4, again imho.

Sorry to wander off topic, but Rainer did ask;-) rick