Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:01:51 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        javocado <javocado@gmail.com>,  FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Migrating ZFS from 8.3 to 10.1

On 11/04/2015 07:13, javocado wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to migrate (upgrade) my system from FreeBSD 8.3 RELEASE to
> 10.1 RELEASE (both amd64). My zfs pool exists on it's own physical
> device(s) so my upgrade will consist of:
>
> 1. install FreeBSD 10.1 on boot device (in a temp system)
> 2. remove 8.3 boot device (from production system)
> 3. install new 10.1 boot device and boot up production system
> 4. re-mount zfs FS
>
> My question is, what do I need to know about how this change will affect or
> impact the zpool and datasets? Is there any chance zfs data could be lost
> or destroyed? Might there be a performance loss due to version differences?
> Is upgrading the zpool (once booted to 10.1) strongly advised? Any
> downsides or dangers there?

Once you upgrade your zpool in 10.1 you can't mount it in < 10.1
I think you can selectively enable features if you want to keep old
system compatibility. Not sure if there is a list of what features are
available for each system version.

Exporting your zpool as you shutdown 8.x will make it easier to import
into 10.1

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Storing Data

Shane Ambler