Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:27:07 +0530
From:      Pradosh Datta <pradosh.datta@gmail.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netmap with VMWare

Hi Luigi,

Thank you for your response and the reference to the paper. After receiving
your comment, for the time being, I shifted my focus to PCI-Passthrough
because without modifying the host, it will not be possible to achieve line
rate between guest-to-guest.

With PCI-Passthrough enabled in ESXi, I am able to test with ixgbe (device:
82599) with netmap. But here again I am reaching maximum of ~5.5Gbps (with
64byte pkt, single CPU 2666.761MHz), the pkt-gen is using ~73%. I looked
into another paper related to ptnetmap, but that again needs hypervisor
change (and I do not want to go into that).

I played with different values with 'ethtool --coalesce rx-usecs' - nothing
is helping. The flow-control is also disabled.

Are there any specific CONFIG(s) I need to enable/disable while compiling
the linux-kernel (3.10 x86_64), or compiling the ixgbe driver (I am using
3.13.10)?
Also, the sections 3.X in the paper (Speeding Up Packet I/O in Virtual
Machines - Our Works) describes many ways of improvement - are those need
to be taken care in case of PCI-Passthrough as well?
If you are already aware of any experiment, is it possible to achieve line
rate using PCI-Passthrough with netmap?

Again thanks for your time and help.

Best Regards,
Pradosh

(NB: one typo correction in my last mail, with e1000 ...throughput is _not_
close to line rate)