Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:28:14 +0200
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Repository priority setting does not work with package dependencies

--lQlD2J4apwWECDoqOv3gABpHTCfAwDAJT

Let's say I created an overlay repository for the official FreeBSD.org re=
pository (I got a hackish shell tool for that, but I am gonna make it awe=
some in due time). This repository contains only those packages of which =
I want to install versions with custom port build options. Some of the pa=
ckages (in this example: shells/bash) have all of their depencies in the =
repository. Some packages, however, have no dependencies in the repositor=
y, because they are supposedly provided by the official repository during=
 the time of package installation.

I have configured this repository in a .conf with priority of 255, which =
makes it a higher priority repository than the official repository.

There is a problem with though: when I do `pkg install bash` (shells/bash=
 has all of it's deps in the overlay repo) pkg does install bash from the=
 overlay repository BUT it installs all the dependencies from the officia=
l FreeBSD repository. I logically assumed that the required package AND a=
ll of it's dependencies would be installed from a repository with higher =
priority.

I tried going around this by doing `pkg install -r overlay bash`. It work=
s for shells/bash, since my overlay repo has all the dependencies. But do=
es not work for certain other packages, which do not have all the depende=
ncies in the repository. With -r packages with not all deps in the same r=
epo get installed with missing deps, and I have to do `pkg check -d` sepa=
rately. And again, pkg check install dependencies from official repositor=
y, not from the repository with highest priority.

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a bug, can it be fixed so that pkg=
 considers repository priority when calculating dependencies?

If this is a feature, then the only way I can have an overlay repository =
is to include all the dependencies in it (installed from pkgs if necessar=
y), and disable the official repository alltogether.

--=20
Arto Pekkanen, s=C3=A4=C3=A4t=C3=A4j=C3=A4
ksym@IRCnet