Date:      Sun, 4 Dec 2016 09:53:56 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with tcsh, MACHTYPE on Raspberry Pi 3

Hi,

I gave FreebSD 12 a try on my Raspberry Pi 3 but encountered some
strange things.

I use this image:

FreeBSD-aarch64-12.0-GENERIC-UP-308109M.img.gz

It all works until I start to compile programs. The main source of the
problem is that

echo $MACHTYPE
unknown

Of course, everything relying on this information fails afterwards.

MACHTYPE seems to be hard-coded in tcsh. Setting it in the current
shell resets it in a sub-shell.

The miracle started when I tried to work with a variable I named
MachType.

[erich@X220]~ > setenv MachTYpe "local machine type"
[erich@X220]~ > echo $MachType

[erich@X220]~ > setenv Susie Otto
[erich@X220]~ > echo $Susie
Otto
[erich@X220]~ >

When I then use MachType inside a script on the Raspberry, it all
works.

Is this really expected behaviour?

Erich