Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:15:30 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Odd behavior with virtualbox-ose-4.3.38

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since upgrading to vb-4.3.38, I am see odd behavior with the GUI. When I
> restart my suspended Windows7 system, I get a window (child of the manager
> GUI) saying that the session is being started, but showing zero percent.
> The virtual system is restarted just fine, regardless and all is well. When
> I suspend the system, I get the following error:
> Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.
>
> The virtual machine 'Win7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with
> exit code 0 (0x0).
>
> Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> Component: Machine
> Interface: IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}
>
> Again, there is no problem seen except for the mysterious window showing
> the session starting and just sitting at 0% and the error that pops up when
> I suspend the VM.
>
> Any idea what is going on and whether there is any reason to be concerned?
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

After added testing. the problem appears to be with disk access. Aside from
the BSDs, I am also seeing the system lock up with the disk access "led" on
solid with the host system showing no activity at all. It has frozen in
both green (read) and red (write). It seems most likely to happen when the
host system is very active, e.g. building a large port. When the disk
access is frozen, the system is still alive until it needs to access the
disk.It appears that I was in thinking that it was related to pausing the
system, though that seems to be most likely to cause the BSD  of the
Windows 7 system. It is possible that there are actually two issues, but I
suspect it is all the same problem with different manifestations.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com