Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2015 23:02:42 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipsec tunnel and vnet jails: routing, howto?

On 27/12/2015 4:24 AM, Michael Grimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently stuck, somehow, and I do need your input. Thus, let me explain, what I do want to achieve:
>
> I do have two servers connected via an ipsec/tunnel ...
> 	[A] dead:beef:1234:abcd::1 <—> dead:feed:abcd:1234::1 [B]
> … which is sending all traffic destined for dead:beef:1234:abcd::/64 and dead:feed:abcd:1234::/64 through the tunnel, and vice versa.
>
> That did run perfectly well during the last years until I decided to give VNET jails a try. Previously, some of my old fashioned jails got an IPv6 address attached like dead:beef:1234:abcd:1:2::3, and I could reach that address from the remote server without any routing/re-directing or alike, necessary. Now, after having moved those jails to VNET jails (having those addresses bound to their epairXXb interfaces), I cannot reach those addresses within those jails any longer.
>
> >From my point of view and understanding this must have to do with lack of proper routing, but I am not sure, if that is correct, thus my questions to the experts:
>
> 1) Is my assumption correct, that my tunnel is "ending" after having passed my firewalls at each server, *bevor* decrypting its ESP traffic into its final destination (yes, I do have pf rules to allow for esp traffic to pass my outer internet facing interface)?
>
> 2) If that is true, racoon has to decide where to deliver those packets, finally?
>
> 3) If that is true, I do have an issue with routing that *cannot* be solved by pf firewall rules, right?
>
> 4) If that is true, what do I have to look for? What am I missing? How can I route incoming and finally decrypted traffic to its final destination within a VNET jail?
>
> 5) Do I need to look for a completely different approach? Every hint is highly welcome.

basically you have to treat the jails as if they are totally separate
machines that are reached through the vpn endpoints instead of being
the endpoints themselves.
This will require a different setup.  for example your tunnel will
need to be exactly that  a tunnel and not just an encapsulation. And
you will need full routing information for the other end at each end.