Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:22:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   gateway machine port redirect question

Dear Experts,

I'm one of Linux refugees who several years ago migrated majority of
servers from Linux to FreeBSD and is happy since. When recently I needed
to set up gateway (Firewall + NAT) machine, I set up FreeBSD 10.2 on it,
used ipwf and natd, and all works well, machines behind gateway on LAN can
happily reach real network. I hit one snag later though: When I tried to
redirect TCP traffic on some port to machine on internal private network
behind gateway, whatever I do doesn't work.

Could somebody point to simple example (it doesn't matter which components
are involved, I don't feel married to ipfw and natd) for FreeBSD 10.2 that
makes the machine gateway, and one of the ports of traffic coming from
public network is redirected to machine on private network behind gateway.
Something I can reproduce that works, which I then will gradually convert
into what I need. Other way around: adding redirection to already working
(and a bit sophisticated) gateway I set up appears to be beyond my mental
abilities: a couple of weeks of frustration confirm it to me.

I really do not want to go back to Linux to do this, even though I feel I
can do it based on Linux in a course of an hour or two - I've set up a few
of them in the past using Linux, that's the longest it took me in my
recollection.

Thanks in advance for all your answers and pointers!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago