Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 2016 18:13:44 -0800
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is this expected behavior?

I explored installing letscrypt and for some reason, pkg seems to think =
it knows more about what I want installed than I do.=20

./letsencrypt-auto --help --debug
grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
Bootstrapping dependencies for FreeBSD...
+ pkg install -Ay git python py27-virtualenv augeas libffi
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
The following 19 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        rrdtool-1.4.8_9
        subversion-1.9.3_1
        serf-1.3.8_1

Why is pkg removing *anything?* Why is the default behavior to remove =
ports? I have had to install subversion twice today after pkg decided I =
didn=E2=80=99t really need it.=20

I avoid using pkg for this reason as well as the fact it can=E2=80=99t =
cope with specific config options I need, so I generally build from =
source.=20

Why did it remove rrdtool? Does it not know that rrdtool is a dependency =
of cacti? Ah, I see now cacti was removed at some point when I wasn=E2=80=99=
t watching.=20

Is there a switch for =E2=80=9Cdon=E2=80=99t remove anything unless =
explicitly instructed to?=E2=80=9D=20=