Date:      Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:35:24 -0400
From:      mfv <mfv@bway.net>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find port name to use with the pkg install command

> On Fri, 2016-09-23 at 08:04 Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hello list,
>
>I am having trouble finding the port name to use with the "pkg
>install" command. I used to use the ports web site
>
>https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi
>
>It used to show the svn port names and now it shows the port version
>names.  How is a person to find the svn port name?

Hello Ernie,

Perhaps 'pkg search <package>' will work.

<package> will also match substrings.  For example,
'pkg search groff' will match two packages:

groff-1.22.2_4                 Software typesetting package
ja-groff-1.18.1_16             Japanese enhancement of GNU groff

and 'pkg search -o groff' will show the origin:

textproc/groff                 Software typesetting package
japanese/groff                 Japanese enhancement of GNU grof

See 'man pkg-search' for additional options.

Cheers ...

Marek