Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:42:32 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avago LSI SAS 3008 & Intel SSD Timeouts

> On 03 Jun 2016, at 23:49, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:
>=20
> First thing would be to run gstat with -d to see if you're actually =
stacking up deletes, a symptom of which can be r/w dropping to zero.
>=20
> If you are seeing significant deletes it could be a FW issue on the =
drives.

Hmm. I=E2=80=99ve suffered that badly with Intel P3500 NVMe drives, =
which suffer at least from a driver problem: trims are not coalesced.=20
However I didn=E2=80=99t experience command timeouts. Reads and, =
especially, writes, stalled badly.

A quick test for trim related trouble is setting the sysctl variable =
vfs.zfs.vdev.bio_delete_disable to 1. It doesn=C2=B4t require
a reboot and you can quickly compare results.

In my case, a somewhat similar problem in an IBM server was caused by a =
faulty LSI3008 card it seems. As I didn=C2=B4t have spare LSI3008 cards
at the time I replaced it by a LSI2008 and everything works perfectly. =
Before anyone chimes in suggesting card incompatibility of some sort,
I have a twin system with a LSI3008 working like a charm. ;)

Borja.